Friday, January 15, 2010

"The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord ..." (Psalm 37:23)

I started working in a local factory this week. There are steps, pass-ways and aisles everywhere. They are marked out to keep pedestrians out of the way of forklifts and create safe paths from one part of the work area to another.

The products also follow a path, conveyor belts made of metal rollers, from one end of the assembly line to the other. They begin as parts in crates and come out the other end as something useful.

Paths and lines also help show which products are being tested and which are ready to ship.

Whoever laid out the factory plans and designed the assembly line ordered the paths.

The way I should go does not always take the most direct route. For instance, there's a conveyor belt between my work area and the stairway to the testing room. So I have to go the long way around. My younger and more agile co-workers sometimes climb over the conveyor belts. I know I can't, but I'm tempted to risk an embarrassing fall to get somewhere more directly.

As the Lord has ordered our lives, I'm sure He has steps and paths in mind for our writing. Looking back we can often see where taking a step in one direction led to a fruitful connection. The challenge for me is to trust that the Lord delights in my way and will keep me from falling, even when I believe the steps in my writing career are taking me the long way around.

(Inspired by Psalm 37)

by Ann E. Schrock

5 comments:

  1. Oh, yes--that long way around! What a great word picture from your job at the factory, Ann! I was encouraged today from reading Psalm 59, written by David when Saul was once again attempting to kill him. Talk about "a long way around" to the kingship! And how about Joseph in Egypt? The "long way around" had to have pointed them to dependence on God--exactly, as you pointed out, what we need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved that picture. It's good to know that it is God himself who sets desires in our hearts that he intends to fulfill. "For it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose." Philippians 2:13

    ReplyDelete
  3. This scripture is one of my favorites! Even though our steps seem to be taking a long detour sometimes, they still take us to where He wants us to be. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing. Although part of me mourns the time away from the keyboard, another part is glad of the influence you are in that space for this time. And the interesting characters you'll develop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post. Very insightful.
    As a former work comp manager, I cringed and then laughed at the picture of your coworkers climbing over the belt.

    ReplyDelete