Thursday, August 1, 2013

Do You Pray for Leaders in Christian Publishing?



by Rick Barry
The business of Christian publishing is a business. At the same time, it is a ministry that seeks to provide answers to questions, to provide role models for leaders, and simply to provide wholesome entertainment while steering thoughts into God-glorifying directions.

If you keep current with Christian literature, chances are good that some books have surprised or outright shocked you. I sometimes hear statements from readers who ask, “How could they possibly include this scene in a Christian book?” Or, “Why did they let this word stay in the final edit?” Or, “Why did XYZ Christian Publisher even print this book? It never mentions God, the Bible, or anything else that would make it Christian.”

I have made similar statements myself. Then, one day, I realized that I am quick to pray for my pastor, for my church, for missionary friends, and for missionary projects—but had not been praying for the editors and agents making the primary decisions concerning manuscripts to recommend for publication.

“Well, I do sometimes pray for my own agent or editor,” some authors might respond. Encouraging though that might be, praying only for those in the business who stand to increase our financial success might have some self-serving roots that even the author doesn’t realize.

Today, let me make a suggestion for my fellow Christian authors, and this suggestion has nothing to do with improving plots, POVs, or character development. Let’s pray for the decision-makers in Christian publishing. They, too, are people. They face temptations. They are often overwhelmed by the work load. They can become weary in well-doing. And—yup—as children of God in influential positions, they will often be in the crosshairs of Satan’s attacks. So, let’s pray for them regularly, even for some with whom you never expect to collaborate. No, you don’t know all of them, but if you’ve attended any conferences, you have met some who could use prayer from an anonymous but sincere believer. Let’s lift them up, without expecting anything in return.










Rick Barry is the author of over 200 published short stories and articles, plus two novels. Visit his personal blog at http://rickbarry.blogspot.com.

5 comments:

  1. Nice post, Rick. Your right. Our industry is a business, sometimes we forget that. You might even consider praying for your future agent or editor (as God already knows who that is).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've already heard back from one editor who thanked me for this. She agrees that people in her industry are under pressure and need prayerful support.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for being a stand up leader to this Indiana group, Rick. You are right on target and I must admit, while I've prayed during the 40 days of prayer before conferences for these leaders, I've never made it a regular prayer habit. Thank you for addressing this topic, Pastor Rick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary, although I've never been a pastor, I will take your comment as a compliment. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rick,

    Thanks for this excellent and needed post. We really need to do this more.

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete