Monday, September 8, 2014

The Reflection of a Writer

By Darren Kehrer

How many reflections of yourself do you see each day? We see our reflection many times each day. What occupation is that looking back at you? Do you see the reflection of an accountant, a house-wife, a house-husband, lawyer, retail worker, nurse, doctor, a farmer, or perhaps maybe even a writer?

Maybe your reflection is one of being a writer in the past. Perhaps it's one who writes now (lucky as you are).  Just as significant, however, may be the writer you want to become? Is that who stares back at you when you look into the mirror? 

I would wager that most of you reading this do not have a primary profession of being a writer. There are several of you that are lucky enough to hold that status. But for the rest of us, it’s a dual role: you have a primary job first, then as a (perhaps hopeful) secondary profession, you put on the hat of a writer. Given this scenario, you are constantly striving to find enough time in your daily life to churn out a few words on a page.

Is your reflection the image of your primary occupation? Or, do you see the future where your writing becomes your primary occupation. In my opinion, that's a necessity. You must see your current reflection transforming into the author you want to be.

My point is this: if you are hopeful that writing will one day be your primary occupation, you must first envision the possibility of that event coming true. Yes, it might not be right now, but that doesn’t mean that it can’t be at some point in the future. You must direct that reflection's evolution. Even if it isn’t your occupation right now, make the decision that it will be some day and focus to make that desire a reality.

In essence, you must see two reflections when you gaze upon yourself in the mirror: your current reflection and the one it's becoming: a full-time writer.

3 comments:

  1. What a concept to think about. I agree that we all want the ultimate goal of being a full-time writer, but so many of things take place in our lives, like work, soccer practice, being a parent, volunteering at church, that we allow the desires of our heart with heart to move to the side. I try to write a few pages a day, even one chapter is better than nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a struggle! When writing is NOT your full time job, it seems you have very little of that time to spend writing. Still, you have to have that as a goal in order to make decisions that will help focus your efforts into that dream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might be the exception on this, but I have always considered myself a freelance writer. I earn my salary through missionary work, and I plan to do the same in the future. So, I don't aspire to be a full-time writer, but that doesn't mean I view my 200+ articles and short stories as unimportant. Same for my published novels. For me, the motivation has nothing to do with seeing myself as a future writer, but faithfully writing the ideas that the Lord plants within me right now. Not all athletes get into the Olympics, but they can still be athletes. Likewise, not all of us writers reach the point of writing full time, but that doesn't mean we're not writers. That's my thought! :)

    ReplyDelete